Chevrolet has added a new dock-height Class 6 model to its lineup of LCF trucks. Chevy launched Class 3, 4 and 5 trucks modeled after Isuzu’s N-Series platform late last year. Chevrolet will source the truck through an existing partnership with Isuzu Commercial Truck of America.
With the 6500XD, Chevrolet will now offer eight cabovers through select dealers, including the Chevrolet 3500, 3500HD, 4500, 4500HD, 4500XD, 5500HD, and 5500XD.
With a maximum GVWR of 25,950 lb., 6500XD front axles feature a 12,000 lb. rating. Rear axle ratings are 19,000 lb.
The 6500XD is based on Isuzu’s 2018 FTR cabover model set to release later this year. It’s equipped with a standard 5.2-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel that delivers 520 lb.-ft. of torque to an Allison 2500 Series 6-speed automatic transmission with PTO, Chevy says.
“Our goal is to offer the best work solutions and customer care in the business,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president, GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. “Our low cab forward dealers and Upfitter Integration Group will work hand-in-hand with customers and their upfitters to spec the right truck for the job. After the sale, our dealers will be there to support customers with extended service hours and work-ready loaners.”
Although very similar in build and design there are a few very distinct differences between the ownership experiences in the Chevy 6500XD vs. Isuzu’s FTR. The next few factors have not yet been confirmed but are the current difference between the Isuzu’s N-series line of trucks vs. Cheverolet’s cabover models.
- Vehicle Health Reports are only available on Isuzu trucks. Can be a very valuable tool for fleet managers and owners. – Isuzu Only!
- The Fleet Value aftermarket parts line is only available on Isuzu trucks. This can equate to significant savings for consumers. – Isuzu Only!
- Warranty Coverage: Extended Warranty options are night and day different
- Diesel Models (aftertreatment): $300 for 60 months / 200,000 miles – Isuzu Only!
- Gas Models: $350 for 60 months / 125,000 miles – Isuzu Only!
- Roadside Assistance: Isuzu has a medium duty response center trained on Isuzu trucks so that the call center knows how to best handle the situation and which tow trucks to send. – Isuzu Only!
- 24 / 60 Covered Maintenance: $3,000 in cost savings. All PM’s for first 24 months or 60,000 miles on diesel model Isuzu’s are 100% free. Must be performed by an Isuzu dealer. – Isuzu Only!
- PSMP: Isuzu’s Priority Service Maintenance Plan (Pre-paid service). Gives the consumer an opportunity to pre pay for PM’s, tires, and brakes services for different periods of times. Locks in parts and labor prices in today’s $$$. Establishes a clear CPM (Cost Per Mile) from day 1. – Isuzu Only!
- Fair Market Value Lease: Isuzu and Isuzu Finance will guarantee a Residual value that is highest in the industry. – Isuzu Only!